Friday, March 21, 2014

CINE OPERA (United Artists)

Cine Opera, a United Artists outlet was demolished in 1958 and a Gallery was built in its place... 
1940 - Joel McCrea & Andrea Leeds in 'Youth takes a fling' released in the USA on September 1938.
'A verdadeira gloria' (The real glory) released in the US on September 1939.


Italian filme 'Il ponte dei sospiri' (A ponte dos suspiros) with Paola Barbara - 1940.
Cine Ópera era exclusivo distribuidor da United Artists (26 Julho 1940).

Sunday, March 2, 2014

Avenida 9 de Julho & vicinities

Anhangabaú Valley on gray morning in September 1947, looking south towards Praça da Bandeira. 
Near Praça da Bandeira, with two steep streets going up to Largo São Francisco with Hotel São Paulo on the right.
Rua Alvaro de Carvalho looking down towards Praça da Bandeira in 1947.
same place in 2014.
Viaducto 9 de Julho being built in 1947. Viaducto Major Quedinho can be seen in the background.
Under Viaducto Major Quedinho looking towards Viaducto 9 de Julho under construction. Sept. 1947.
Viaducto 9 de Julho being built. Looking down Avenida 9 de Julho towards Praça da Bandeira.
Same area; rua Álvaro de Carvalho on the left and Av. 9 de Julho on the right. Sept. 1947.
Low-lying area next to Praça da Bandeira. See São Gonçalo's cupola on top of hill. Sept. 1947.

Same area in the 1950s after major demolitions had taken place. One can see Teatro de Aluminio (Aluminium Theatre) whose whole structure was imported from the USA and assembled in this vacant lot that had been filled with houses. Margaret Kennedy's 'Constant Nymph' ('De amor também se morre') was the first play staged at the new theatre in May 1952, translated by Maria Jacinta with directions of actress-director Dulcina de Moraes. This area has never actually recovered from the major demolitions of the late 1940s. It became a parking-lot for decades, then a dingy bus terminal.


Aerial view looking at Viaducto do Chá & Avenida 9 de Julho beyond. Sept. 1947.
Exactly same area at twilight time. Sept. 1947.

Saturday, March 1, 2014

1947 as seen by Life magazine's lens

These photos were taken all in September 1947, by Life magazine photographer Dmitri Kessel. It was the same year in which the building housing the Bank of the State of São Paulo was finished. 






Alameda Porto Geral looking up to Rua Boa Vista. Cia.City Building at the top of the hill only emphasizes São Paulo's emulation of New York City.


Financial District at Rua XV de Novembro on top of the hill.


Parque D. Pedro II, having Banco do Estado's building, São Paulo's answer to the Empire State Building in the background.


The sower (o semeador) at  Parque D. Pedro II.


Parque D. Pedro II by night. The street leading up is Ladeira Porto Geral.


Parque D. Pedro II at twilight time...


São Paulo 1947 skyline with Dom Pedro II's Park in the foreground.


Same building seen from Avenida São João, the other side of town.


photo taken probably from the top of Banco do Estado Building looking down to Avenida São João going westward. The big building on the right was the Post Office.


Anhangabaú Valley looking up to Light & Power Building on Rua Xavier de Toledo.


Rua Xavier de Toledo at night. Light & Power building is on the left. Theatro Municipal is on the right.


Rua Xavier de Toledo looking east.


This photo is not actually part of Life's 1947 study of São Paulo, but it's a reminder that someone had to work hard to have all those buildings put up. And here are the unsung heroes doing their everyday chores.


Campos Elíseos Palace was the seat of the State government. 


Hospital das Clinicas as seen in September 1947 by Life's photographer.